Blog Archive

Monday, July 22, 2024

Game Reflection: Randomness, Expectations, and FUN!

[edit - I renamed the title of this blog post with Game Reflection.  Each post in between gaming sessions will have this title so as to keep the posting a little more organized.]

For those looking for more of an itemized list of the Scenes in one place, you can find them here or on the right side of the blog page.  I'm still new to this website format, so I'll be finding my way as I go in regard to organization as I learn about the blogger gui.  

I'd like to do a brief intermission to comment on my experience so far.  Please keep in mind that this is my first ongoing solo RPG experience.  Mythic really isn't difficult to pick up, but I've kept it relatively simple and am not diving into the variations yet.  I received my hardcover version last week in the mail and was able to read the book in its entirety in a few days.  I have to say that Mythic along with GURPS for me is the perfect combination of narrative richness and satisfying mechanics.  I really like using them in tandem.  

I'd also like to reiterate that I did not have any ideas about how the game would progress, or what NPCs would be involved beyond what I noted on my starting Threads and Characters Lists for Session Zero.  I'm trying to balance my typical urge to go as random as possible (I love surprises) while also adhering to the internal logic of the narrative - what Mythic refers to as expectations.  I had no idea of any kind of story when I first started.  What you're reading is genuinely being generated by the interplay between my expectations, context, and the evolution of these elements - all the while with the rules of GURPS having their own impact on the story development.  It's wonderful, sand-boxey, RPG goodness!!!  Even if nobody else is following, I'm enjoying the game, and it's fun seeing a story develop.  Recording the game in such a narrative manner for me has been some work, but I don't mind typing, and it's furthered my enjoyment of the game.  

For anybody that is on the fence with Mythic, I highly recommend this product - it's amazing!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Recording Methods for Solo Play

It's been a couple weeks since my last game.  While I've had other "life stuff" to attend to on my days off, I'd have ...