Blog Archive

Sunday, July 21, 2024

Introductions and Short Background

 This is the start of my Solo RPG adventures.  After considering what to write for my first PC's backstory, for my first Solo RPG, I quickly moved to thinking about just publishing everything as a blog online since I was going to go through the time of digitally recording my sessions anyhow.  At least this way I can share my stories and creative Musings with the world and hopefully provide some form of entertainment while perhaps receiving some helpful criticisms to make my games more enjoyable for myself and anyone who wants to read them...that's quite a feedback loop.  

As a quick introduction, I'm fast approaching 50 years old and have a few years experience under my belt in the form of role-playing games.  As of the past few years, I've almost been playing entirely in the analog realm with tabletop role-playing games - mostly OSR dungeon crawls and hex crawls using Basic Fantasy RPG, OSE, and B/X Dungeons & Dragons.  However, recently I've began a love affair with GURPS and have been wanting to move away from a traditional 80's style dungeon crawl into other genres of RPGs.  I think I'll always prefer a sandbox approach to gaming, but I'm not opposed to more linear adventures.  I intend to run my Solo adventures in a sand-boxy way.   

Enter the current Solo RPG endeavor.  This will be a game that is not focused on combat but perhaps more investigative / narrative.  In fact I don't really anticipate any combat for this game.  I will be using GURPS 4th Ed. along with Mythic Game Master Emulator (GME) 2nd Ed.  I'm hoping the game will blossom into a multi-adventure extravaganza...but we'll see.  I'm not sure if I'm going to handle it in an episodic manner or just one ongoing campaign.  I'll see how it goes after I get to playing.  I might post a character sheet from GURPS - not sure yet.  For those that know GURPS, it will be a realistic power level, with the main PC starting out at 75 character points.  Tech level will be TL8 (early) since it takes place in the early 1980s.

The game / campaign could be titled "80's Psi."  It's going to be centered on the adventures of one main protagonist - Dr. David Allen, a young theology professor at St. Xavier College - a small, private liberal arts college.  David is a PC that has some Psi abilities (unreliable) and is obsessed with figuring out how to interpret the existence of psionics within the realm of faith.  His motivation is therefore personal, but he also wants to contribute to the academic community in the form of research as well as to the general public in regard to the existence and validity of psionic power.  

I'm starting the adventure with 3 items on my Threads List: publish / write book on Psi and faith, investigate Psi reports, and make tenure (at his college).  The Characters List has 6 items: Weirdness Magnet, Dr. Marie Higgins, Jesse McManus, Dean Pritchert, NICPP (National Investigative Community of Psychic Phenomenon), and classroom / students.  

Dr. Marie Higgins is an NPC that is also a colleague of David's, and will be a side-kick during his adventures.  Jesse McManus is the president of the local chapter of NICPP (National Investigative Community of Psychic Phenomenon) in David's city.  Dean Pritchert is David's boss at St. Xavier College.  Classroom / students encompasses not only David's students but the general student body at St. Xavier.  

As far as a format for recording the adventure, I might keep it simple and keep the mechanics italicized, and the rest for narrating / highlighting the story.  I'm still not sure of the level of detail that I'm going to get into for recording the game.  I'll publish game recaps using Mythic Scene #s.  This will be a work in progress.  I have the Mythic Adventure Journal to use for my gaming sessions, and I'll probably recap on the blog here.  I might even have the blog open while I'm playing so I can record the mechanics decisions.  This experience will be just as much about learning how to play GURPS as much as learning how to Solo role-play.  

No comments:

Post a Comment

Recording Methods for Solo Play

It's been a couple weeks since my last game.  While I've had other "life stuff" to attend to on my days off, I'd have ...